Mark Van Ark, CCIM, SIOR
A native of Boulder, CO, Mark first obtained his Real Estate license in 1969, and began learning the business while assisting in the family owned real estate projects. Mark’s real estate business was placed on hold while he worked in the field of Law Enforcement from 1970-1980. During this period he earned his undergraduate degree in both Criminal Justice, as well as Real Estate. His professional experience included working with the Boulder County Sheriff’s Department as an Investigator, as well as a three year undercover and intelligence assignment with the Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA) Denver office.
Mark Van Ark has over thirty years of real estate experience in the Commercial and Investment field. Mark has broad experience in investment sales, office and industrial leasing, land sales and development, including multi-family projects and consulting.
Mark obtained the CCIM designation in 1989 after completing the rigorous graduate level courses and experience requirement. In 2003 he earned the SIOR designation, and is one of only two commercial brokers in the state of Colorado to hold a “Dual” SIOR Designation in both the Office and Industrial disciplines.
As a Senior Instructor for the CCIM Institute, Mark has trained real estate professionals both domestically as well as internationally. These training assignments have included such international locations as Taipei, Tokyo, Warsaw, Moscow and St. Petersburg.
Mark’s current positions include:
- KW Commercial Real Estate, LLC, Director of Commercial Real Estate, covering both the Denver and Boulder markets.
- US Department of Veteran Affairs, IDIQ Consultant, Office of Asset Enterprise Management, Washington D.C.
- University of Denver, Adjunct Professor, Graduate Program – Daniels College of Business, Franklin L. Burns School of Real Estate and Construction Management
- Senior Instructor, CCIM Institute, Chicago IL.
EDUCATIONAL / PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- CCIM- Certified Commercial Investment Member
- SIOR – Society of Office and Industrial Realtors®
- Denver Metropolitan Commercial Association of Realtors®
- B.S. – Metropolitan State College
- University of Colorado
- University of Denver, Burns School of Real Estate
OTHER PRESENT AND PAST AFFILIATIONS
- 2012 – Vice President, CCIM Institute (CCIMI) Region 3, (Colorado, Wyoming and Utah) 3rd Term
- 2006 – President – Colorado/Wyoming Chapter, CCIM
- 2003/2004 – Vice President, CCIM Institute (CCIMI) Region 3, (Colorado, Wyoming and Utah) 2nd Term
- 2002- Present – Member, Colorado Chapter, Society of Industrial and Office Realtors® (SIOR)
- 1998 to 2003- Director – CCIM Institute (CCIMI)
- 1998- Vice President, CCIM Institute (CCIMI) Region 3, (Colorado, Wyoming and Utah)
- 1998 to 2000- Director, Colorado Association of Realtors representing the Denver Metropolitan Commercial Board of Realtors® (DMCAR)
- 1996-1997 Director, Denver Metropolitan Commercial Board of Realtors (DMCAR)
- 1996- President – Colorado/Wyoming Chapter, CCIM
- 1995-1997 Committee member- Rocky Mountain Commercial Real Estate EXPO
- 1997-1998 Executive Director- Commercial Brokers of Boulder (CBB)
- Member- Denver Metropolitan Commercial Board of Realtors (DMCAR)
- Member, National Association of Realtors
- East Boulder Sub-Community Planning Commission, City of Boulder, Colorado
- Condemnation Commissioner – Twentieth Judicial District (Boulder County) Colorado
Awards and Designations
- 2003 – Became the only Boulder commercial practitioner to earn an SIOR designation. This designation is a Dual Designation, in the specialized disciplines of both Office and Industrial (one of only three such Dual Designations in the state of Colorado).
- 2000 Denver Metropolitan Commercial Association of Realtors, “Number Three” in the “Top Ten Commercial Brokers” (awarded for the second time)
- 1997 Denver Metropolitan Commercial Association of Realtors, “Salesman of the Year”
- 1997 Denver Metropolitan Commercial Association of Realtors, “Number Three” in the “Top Ten Commercial Brokers”
- 1995 CCIM Chapter “Deal of the Year”
- 1996 CCIM Chapter “Deal of the Year” (co-awarded with fellow Chapter member Don Harlan, CCIM)
- 1988 Earned the prestigious CCIM designation
- CCIMI – CI INTRO, Senior Instructor – Introduction to Commercial Investment Real Estate
- CCIMI – CI 101, Senior Instructor – Financial Analysis for Commercial Investment Real Estate
- CCIMI – CI 102, Senior Instructor – Market Analysis for Commercial Investment Real Estate
- CAR – Continuing Education Instructor- Commercial Investment Properties (CO Assn. of Realtors)
- University of Denver – Adjunct Professor, Daniels College of Business, Franklin L. Burns School of Real Estate and Construction Management